Can the solar cooker be successful?
A number of questions which may be important at the introduction.
Is firewood becoming a problem
- Do people have to walk far to gather it.
- Is other fuel available and if so, is it expensive.
- Will gathering firewood be prohibited soon.
- What percentage of family income is spent on fuel for cooking.
What is the main ingredient of local food
- Is the food cooked in a pot or is it baked on a plate like pancakes.
- At what hour of the day is food cooked.
- Do they have a hot meal once or twice a day.
- Do they often stew or roast.
- Are many other ingredients used apart from the main food.
Materials used for production
- Is beside timber, plate material available as well.
- What sorts of thin metal can be bought locally, e.g. aluminium.
- Is 4 mm glass available and if so, is it expensive.
- Can silicon kit and household aluminium foil be obtained.
- Is there electricity.
- How long does the rain season last and are there 4 hours of sun each day after that.
- Is the sky blue or whitish when there are no clouds.
- What is the degree of humidity.
- Are there sandstorms regularly and during longer periods.